Bolognese Sauce with Long’s Meat – Courtesy of Pasta Gardner
Watch the Youtube video I made with this recipe here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8wlYsuIiA
Makes about 2 qts. of sauce (about 2 hours to make)
1 bag of Pasta Gardner’s Radiatore or Lumache
1/4 cup olive oil (this may seam like a lot but it helps to cook the vegetable soffritto style
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 red onion, rough small diced 2 stocks celery, rough small diced
1 large carrot, peeled, rough small diced 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, picked
1 lb. ground Italian sausage 1/2 lb. bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup white wine 2 – 28 oz. canned tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp. anchovy paste 1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup about grated Mt. Zion Cheese from Ferns Edge Creamery
1 – 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped (optional)
– heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat, add the vegetables. Simmer until vegetables have softened.
– add the meats, string to break up the meats. Cook the mixture until the liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Cooking until a fond (brown sticking) develops on the bottom of the pan, add the anchovy paste, cook for about 1 minute. Then add the wine.
– let the wine reduce, add the diced tomatoes. Bring back to a simmer and turn down to medium heat.
– reduce the liquid by 1/4 in volume (about 25 minutes). Taste to see if it needs salt or pepper, add cream and cook another 10 minutes.
– once the sauce is reduced you can add the optional rosemary. Using a hand blender puree the sauce slightly.
– fill a large pot with cold water about 3 quarts and bring to a boil.
– when the water comes to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook for time on package.
– drain it, let it rest for about 1 minute and add to your sauce. serve on warm plates. garnish with cheese.