12 oz Pasta Gardner Fusilli
3-4 links Lamb Sausage available at Long’s Meat Market
1 bunch asparagus, sliced on the bias
1 bunch garlic scapes, sliced on a long bias, from Groundwork Organics
1 bunch spring onions, medium diced
1/2 cup white wine
about 1/8 cup olive oil
2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In a large pot bring 4-5 quarts of salted water to a boil.
2. In a large sauce pan, cook the sausage links over medium heat in a little oil. Turn to cook evenly, about 5-7 minutes. Take out of pan and let rest.
3. Discard remaining oil and wipe loose particles with a paper towel out but don’t use soap. We want some of the fond (brown color left on the bottom of the pan).
4. Add 3 tbsp. olive oil to the pan and lightly sauté the garlic scapes, about 45 seconds. Add the asparagus and cook another minute. Then add the spring onions and sauté for the last minute.
5. Add the white wine to stop the cooking and lightly simmer the liquid until reduced by half. Turn off the heat. It is OK for some of the fond to be released into the sauce, but we don’t want to scrap the bottom of the pan.
6. Cook the pasta according to the direction on the package. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the pasta water, if needed. When done drain well and add to the sauce.
7. Heat the sauce and pasta add the lemon juice and season with salt and fresh pepper.
8. Serve in warm bowl with the sliced sausage on top. Garnish with parmesan cheese and optional fresh chives
9. Boun Appetito!